Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Jupiter Island, Hobe Sound

First of all, lets start with a puzzle for grandkids, as well as any other reader of this blog. All the hints you need are in the picture itself so keep looking. The first one with the right guess will be acknowledged on a future blog. Because it may be difficult, all replies, by comment or private email, will be rewarded with a treat next time we meet! Good luck!


During some excursions, I encounter new stuff for me: here's a blue crab, freshly caught by a fisherman on the boardwalk along the Indian River.


Just so you know, the crab was thrown back to grow a little more.

Next is an anole lizard who seems to be saying: "What you looking at?"


He wasn't hurt either, he's much too fast.

On a trip to one of the new garden Parks nearby, I noticed that the local Port St Lucie Orchid club members covered some Orchids being naturalized in the park. There have been severe frosts in these parts and many gardens and landscaped areas have suffered a lot. Some of the uncovered orchids that you can see on the upper right were not covered and seem well established in spite of the fact they were installed on the tree about six months ago!


Another strange new thing was the 'closed' field. I'm not exactly sure why you would close a field, but this one was actually roped-off and, well, closed!


The Jupiter Island Lighthouse is on Coast Guard property so access is by participating in a one hour guided tour, an our I did not have at the time... making a decent picture was somewhat difficult.


Same light from across the river, in a very pricey area of really beautiful homes. I snuck onto a vacant building lot for sale.


This a shot made at the Hobe Sound Beach where this fisherman had four rods at work.


This next series was made at the Nature Conservancy's Blowing Rocks Preserve. These are the first rocks I've seen on the beaches around here. When the waves are more active due to winds or storm, they crash into the rocks and spray madly in every direction. Some rocks have holes that direct the spray upward and cause a geyser of water sometimes as high as 50 feet, according to the signs. These rocks are very hard and almost impossible to step on in bare feet.




This last picture is once more out of sequence, it belongs to Hobe Sound Beach, the only beach I've encountered so far that had a lifeguard. Not many people to save life-wise...

Ok, one little hint about the puzzle picture: it's a reflection. That answer doesn't count.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I goofed while moderating Kathleen's comment which was: "I suspect the reflection in your picture is that of an egret or heron. Do I win a treat? :-) "

So which is it? Of course you get a treat, but Len beat you as the first reply, by email.

Paul