Surprise along the highway this morning: it's been pretty hot most of this trip so far, and I certainly did not expect to see this.
Quite a bit of the white stuff on both sides of the TransCanada and it's the last week of June.
I guess I should say that the pictures above were shot while still in Saskatchewan, so seeing potash shouldn't be unexpected. ... but you knew that all along, right?
I took a detour to the Alberta Birds of Prey Centre where they collect damaged raptors, nurse them back to health, then release the 'restored' birds back to Nature if they can. If not, they provide the birds with food and lodging until the end. They are a dedicated bunch of workers and volunteers and I've managed to visit the Centre three or four times in the last ten years or so. They have expanded nicely and house a few dozens of birds on display to visitors.
Some birds are trained to certain routines that force them to 'work' [exercise] for their food. I was only there for 3/4 of an hour, but managed to see today's predator flying for his meal.
In the meantime, here's a little owl that I think has blue eyes...
This next bird is fairly rare, it's a Harlans Hawk, a subset of the Red Tailed Hawk which is pictured right after. I gather the white on the forehead is a major distinguishing feature of this rare raptor.
This next bird is a Harris Hawk, and they must be accident-prone because there were quite a few of these handsome birds at the Centre.
As always, I ask before taking pictures and this owl just fluffed up his chest and struck this pose. I'm not sure if he felt self important, or just wanted to scare me away by his size.
Speaking of size, you can see bigger pictures by clicking on them.
So today's star was brought out to the flying field to strut his stuff and earn his supper.
What a beauty!
Bald Eagles are very successful predators: they have exceptionally acute eyesight and hunt by sight only. They don't use their sense of smell to find food, just their incredible eyesight.
I'd feel pretty vulnerable if I saw this coming at me...
This particular bird weighs about 7 pounds, and yet, he's very quick but graceful in flight.
I left the flying area and went to the area where the Bald Eagle was being returned to; there was talk about needing volunteers to help out with the cool-down process...
In the meantime, this royal looking Golden Eagle was looking forward to seeing his bud back.
The staff mentioned that they had more volunteers than they needed as this little boy showed his sister the finer points of the cool-down technique, under the watchful eye of the Golden Eagle in the lower left corner...
The Eagle seemed to like the water spray and didn't seem to get excited at all. Maybe he's just become accustomed to the heavy rains that have plagued the local area since the beginning of the month.
I'm sure the birds enjoy the cool-down, but I'm not so sure I can read their expressions quite right. This guy is now making sure that his bud, the Golden Eagle, gets humiliated too...
Obviously, there wasn't enough conditioner in the spray, this is going to be a very bad hair day!
Don't just stand there: get the brush and hair-dryer! Now! Please...
Of course, raptors have staff, and these guys are all looking for the brush and hair-dryer under the leadership of the Duck at the back. What a comedy!
Meanwhile, back at the cashier's desk, this little accountant was trying to charm you to part with any last piece of change in your purse or wallet, for a very good cause.
Little kids and big kids too: everyone had a great time.
All this to see and shoot, and I still arrived in Okotoks and the Powers branch of the clan in good time to celebrate Colleen and Nick's 16th anniversary.
I may less regular about daily entries, but I'll try to have family pictures and stories to share.
The boys will grow while you're not looking and Eric has almost caught up to Jacob...
The boys will grow while you're not looking and Eric has almost caught up to Jacob...

















No comments:
Post a Comment