Friday, August 14, 2015

Marquette Michigan to Rachel Lake Minnesota

After an 8am start, I arrived at Jan's at 4pm, my predicted time.  It turns out that my prediction was off by and hour: I had forgotten to account for the time change to Central Time.  It all turned out for the best anyway since the trip took exactly an hour longer due to traffic slowdowns, the usual turnip truck, bridge replacements, and other such delights that await the unsuspecting traveller...  But I digress.

Audio books are a great way to make time pass quickly; it's not a huge distraction, but it does make things like monitoring the gas gauge more important...  Today was an Ivanovich day, light hearted, detective mystery just beyond a possible chick-flick. Joan and I have heard other books in this series and enjoyed each one, this one being much the same, and equally enjoyable. When radio is chancy at best, these books take about 5 or 6 hours to enjoy, just a pleasant way to spend the day.

So I arrived at Jan's door a few minutes after I was expected [4pm] and owned up to my one hour error in the prediction that was compensated by the one hour delays in travel.  We quickly sat down with a beer and brought each other up to date about what's up. Friends who can take up from where we left off a year ago are special: time becomes meaningless and precious at the same time...

For readers that know Jan: she sends her warm greetings.  Jan and hers are all well and getting older, but then I guess we all are.

My watch is now set to local time, my body, not so much, so I'll cut this short and get some sleep.  I'm hoping for pictures tomorrow...

No comments: