Monday, March 14, 2016

Glass Beach / Fort Bragg California

Glass Beach has been on my bucket list for ages: I could not imagine a former dumpsite being a source of beauty.  Over the decades, people dumped garbage over a few cliffs near Fort Bragg: that was their dump. You can read all about it here. I had learned about it while following one of my photo sites, and wanted to see it for myself.

Today was rainy: like a constant downpour when I went to Glass Beach at 9:30 am for low tide.

First, here's a view of the particular area I went to.  Some areas have been decimated by sea glass collectors, and it is now illegal to remove any glass from this protected area. My motel host suggested a beach less well known... [click on any picture to see all of them larger]



The above picture may not be stunning to you, but a closer look sure had me interested.






As you saw, the glass pieces outnumber the stones and the sand. At the end of the beach, there's a view of pockets of glass along the edges of the cliff.  These pockets are about a foot thick of glass pieces!


As I mentioned earlier, it was pouring rain as I made these few pictures: no time for artistry, fancy stuff, or anything really. I had my excellent rain jacket, and that part stayed dry. I also wore my rubber boots and heavy socks, so that too stayed dry.

Unfortunately, everything else from camera to underwear was soaking wet. The camera is supposed to be waterproof, and so far it seems to be doing fine, the rest of me required a full charge of clothes at 10am!

Since then, I have been driving in heavy rains most of the day and stopped for the day in a place named Santa Nella CA where I'm staying at a Best Western and ate at the Andersen restaurant next door.  Huge place, very good food at relatively inexpensive prices.  So far so good!

Tomorrow: Eastward over the mountains! I'm hoping to be able to Take interstate 40 Eastward, and that is farther North than usual for heading home.

No comments: