I left my friends in Wellington after a very pleasant but too short visit. It was even a decent 'crack-of-dawn' departure: 8:30 isn't bad at all. The day was sunny with many different kinds of clouds off and on during the day.
The sunset was spectacular, over different bays and inlets on Lake Superior. You can't just stop on the TransCanada, and I kept driving hoping to find a motel with vacancies. It turns out that the government is investing in infrastructure: roads, bridges, solar plants, and wind generators, so there are lots of contract labourers throughout the region. That's good for the local economy, but not so good for the travellers. It turns out that local motels throughout the region are solidly booked during the week, but might have a spot or two on Friday and Saturday nights...
It's Wednesday so motel after motel was sold out. There was one place with a few cabins left, but they were $225/night! I could have saved a lot of time if the outdoor signs just stated No Vacancy, but I gather that's not cool anymore: the current practice is to have a hand drawn and basically unreadable sign on the office door...
All this to say, I drove well into the night and found the last room available in Terrace Bay! The owner was about to leave for the night, but he drove back in when I parked by the office, just minutes shy of midnight. He had just received a cancellation so he had one room left: mine!
It's now 1:00 am and I think I'll hit the sheets.
Thursday, July 28, 2016
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment