The last time I went to this show was about three years ago. Then it was a much smaller show consisting mainly of Corvettes and Thunderbirds.
This year was much bigger, was better attended, and had lots of interesting cars to be seen and enjoyed.
Here is a small sampling of cars from the 1950's.
First, a 1954 Corvette, the second year they were made.
Next is a 1954 Studebaker Hawk, one of the fastest production cars in its day. This was also the last year they were made.
Next is a 1952 [maybe 53?], Jaguar XK120. I am almost positive that this car is too yellow, but hey, why not...
It was in 1953 that Jaguar entered three of these cars in the 24 hour Le Mans race in France. It swept the winners circle 1,2,3.
It was the first time that disk brakes [made by Girling] were used in any car, any race. Too bad that the company that created disk brakes is no longer available to reap the rewards...
By the way, I made a photo of one these XK 120's on my second roll of film way back in 1958...
This is a 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air two door hard top.
And now, a very nice 1959 Corvette. They started 4 headlights in 1958, and some say the pre 58's are the only pretty ones. Well, this one comes awfully close in my mind...
!958 was the first year for the Edsel: this is the steering wheel of a 1959. Note the buttons that run the automatic transmission in the centre of the streering wheel, as far as I know, the first car to do so.
Next is a 1955 Pontiac: our family had a 1956 in the same colours.
Here is an overview of a bunch of Corvettes down one of the parking strips. Unfortunately, new Corvettes are less distinguishable from one another than the early ones...
There were at least three more 'Corvette' strips in the show.
And finally, the box that the very nice 1959 Corvette from above came in...
I always enjoy going to an antique car show. I meet 'car guys': people who enjoy the ownership and care of their cars.
I particularly like to see and make photos of the older, rarer cars, where restoration is more difficult, and maintenance more taxing. These hobbyists are preserving the cars that we all saw as we grew up. I have been fortunate to see and meet many of their owners.
The culmination of the antique car hobby for me was to participate in the 1995 Great North American Race, from Ottawa to Mexico City, as a navigator, in a 1936 Packard 120.
Old cars have been big interest in my life, even if I never owned one. I love to photograph them at every opportunity. I hope you will enjoy this small selection.









No comments:
Post a Comment