Friday, September 19, 2008

Pullman WA to Belgrade Montana

Interesting drive from Pullman to here; Pullman is in the middle of the rolling hills on a fairly high mesa.  To get here, I had to go South to the Snake River, then follow highway #12 to cross Idaho up to Missoulla in Montana.  

Most of the way, the speed limit was 50 MPH with half the curves having a reduced speed of 40 and the other half at speeds lower than that, often 20 MPH.  It was a great motorcycle road, and there were lots of them.  While in Idaho, the road ran alongside this little river that kept changing names along the way.  This route was discovered by Lewis and Clark and reminders / memorials are everywhere.  There were little road enlargements every few hundred feet to pull off and let other cars pass.  Great place to take photos.  This little river had cascading rapids here and there and was quite pretty.

The river and road are in the trough of a two hundred mile range of mountains.  The whole thing twisted and turned in every direction and it was quite disconcerting to look at Ema and see we were going South when the eventual destination was North East!  I couldn't stop at the time, but there was a road sign that had the multiple twisty curves symbol with a separate sign below stating "For 26 Miles"   A half hour later, a similar sign for 13 miles!  Like I said, a great road for motorcycles!

All this twisting also meant that there were few places where the sun lit both sides of the river, but I found one...

Nearer to Belgrade, I saw these incredible rock formations; they looked like giants had been playing with playdough [Sp?] and then just tossed it everywhere.  Some stacks were 100 feet high and more, others were just incredibly big boulders.  Neat!

Belgrade is about an hour away from Yellowstone and weather permitting, I should be there tomorrow.  It seems that the super-hot days are gone to be replaced with frosty nights and more comfortable days.  With a possibility of rain of course: it's a weekend!

Enjoy yours!


No comments: