Sunday, September 28, 2008

Rachel Lake to Ishpeming Michigan

After a leisurely departure from a great visit with Jan, it was a long fairly slow drive across the tops of Minnesota, Wisconsin, and half of Michigan. The Fall colours have started and are quite dramatic in a few places. The maple forests are still ahead so I'll probably slow down long enough to make a few pictures in the next day or two. Lost another hour due to time zones so I'm back where I started.

Found a well hidden and convoluted way to avoid Duluth and its high bridges, but not before driving through a golf course and a few nice neighbourhoods. It's a good thing that Lake Superior is a reliable east and north east boundary...

I thought that 4 pm would be too early to quit for the day and marshaled onward, unaware of the time change, and completely forgetting the lack of acceptable motels along my proposed route. It ends up that I've stayed at this motel twice before, arriving in the dark each time because 'to stop earlier seemed to be too early'... I'll have to do better next time since it's quite an isolated route and I saw at least half a dozen dead deer beside the road; all fairly fresh kills. I saw dozens of deer in the fields and fortunately, none came to the road when I was driving by.

Hopefully, I'll have some new pictures tomorrow. Bye for now.

No comments: