Friday, December 20, 2013

Butterfly garden at pelican preserve

Settling down to a routine here is kind of difficult.  i wanted to update the blog after everyone else was toes-up, but then I was sleepy too.  I think the new drill will be to update in the morning when convenient.  I'll aim for every other day.   ..or so...

Here's a bright cardinal that thinks he's much better of with a natural smorgasbord than a frozen dinner at the feeder.


Nearby was this tree that had the misfortune of being used as a fence post: ouch!


This is where we live, if you look closely, there's a shiny Solara under the carport: look quickly, it doesn't get washed often...


The title says butterfly garden, but before we get there, here is a shot of the Koy pond within the garden.  Hope you enjoy the mystery as much as I do.



And now, the butterflies:Here's the underside of a Queen butterfly, and the following picture is of the topside of a similar Queen butterfly.




Another Queen:



This next one is a Long Tailed Skipper


The last three are the Polydamas Swallowtail; the only florida swallowtail that lacks tails.  Go figure.

This type was in constant motion not really landing when feeding.  I did manage to get two shots of it flying: the last one right at me.




While this is to be continued, who knows what will be next.

No comments: