Friday, January 31, 2014

Day 5, Las Cruces New Mexico

Hi again from Pally.  Apparently I have a following, well deserved I'm sure, so Paul wanted me to show you more pictures of me.  Actually, he hasn't made any outdoor pictures for a long time, says he doesn't want to open the car door and wake me up.  Right!  As if that would matter.

This first one is of me trying to train Joan to pay attention to me, not some book just because it's on the NY best seller list.  I finally got her attention by putting my paw right on her glasses; that sure made her laugh a lot and I think that's good for humans, much like purring is good for me, but I digress.


Our crack of dawn departure was around 8:30.  As I'm expected to, I made a small 10 minute fuss but got pretty tired of that when nothing would change anyway.  I'll have to work on that one.

We got back on Interstate 10, that same one that was closed and caused us all such trouble yesterday. Today, it behaved a lot better.  We still saw the occasional 'damaged' guard rails on some bridges.   Now Paul finally understands why every single bridge and large culvert in Texas has the sign that bridge may freeze before road! It's hard to imagine freezing when the sun is shining and the land is totally parched from prolonged droughts.  We even saw a few water over road signs, also hard to understand when every gulch, gully, stream and many rivers are bone dry.  I understand that when everything is this dry, any water quickly runs off quickly and makes flash floods that can bury a culvert or bridge very quickly!  Good thing I'm not living here; I understand they have snakes, hawks, coyotes and all kinds of hungry beasts; I've already had all that and it wasn't anywhere as much fun as having staff to feed, protect and love you when they're awake...

The speed limits today went from 70 to 80 mph.  That's even faster in Kilometres...  Another factoid Paul was nattering about was that according to Carmen, the one that kept getting us lost yesterday, our total accent was 3750 metres, and total decent was 3050; apparently that's does not improve  something called mileage [I sometimes fall off....] at any rate, we're 2/3 of a kilometre higher than yesterday.  Some factoid indeed.

What we did see was a little over 30 miles of almost solid windmills in Texas, and about 10 miles of really stinky cattle in large cement pens.  The good thing is that many of these pens were completely empty, hope those cows escaped to a better place.

We also saw miles of scrub land, useless for anything except sheep and goats.  Those two types are not the brightest bulbs in any chandelier...

Some people buy their pets toys at every opportunity.  This is one that Joan made: she took the string that stops her from losing her glasses and tied a tissue at one end.  I sure have honed up my reaction-time playing this game with the staff; we're already on the second tissue!  Paul tells me my reflexes are right up there with Peter: fast enough to start closing my eyes when the flash goes off; now that sucker is about 1/10,000 of a second, and I can beat it every time, but again, I digress.


Shoes can be fun but try as I might, I can't get the hang of getting them on.


Mind you, they smell like the staff and are comfy to sleep on.



I found Joan finally answering her emails.


 I'll just watch a while and learn this typing thing without looking at the keyboard.



I tried it on Paul's computer while he was answering some of his mail earlier. I don't really get the point, maybe my new staff will be able to help out.

OMG! Is that a mouse? Why is Joan even bothering to play with it?

Apparently the ugly mice are supposed to taste better but this one is way too ugly, I'll pass on this one.


I don't think this is working: I'm pressing some keys and not looking at the keyboard.  Apparently, that's what you're supposed to do, but I think I'd prefer the biblical method Paul uses: seek and ye shall find.

I'll just wait a little longer until Paul needs the machine, that way he'll pick me up and we can have some quality purring time.




No comments: