Saturday, September 5, 2015

At the Canad Inn Portage LaPrairie Manitoba

I just got the Inn bill, took a shower to cool down [more later] and thought I'd delay the expected 9:00 crack-of-dawn departure a bit to proffer a little advice to those who might be tempted to overnight in Portage: don't!

The room cost is $105.  The total cost is $124.16.  The difference? $8.40 Provincial Sales Tax; $5.25 Federal General sales Tax; $5.25 City Tax; and a further $0.25 Federal tax on the city tax[?].  That's almost 20% sales tax for a so-so but OK room, a shower that changed its temperature as others flushed or came on stream, a slow internet connection limited to one free hour per day, and no included breakfast.

Did I mention no included breakfast?  Really...  and almost dial-up speed internet? [ask your parents what dial-up means].... with a one hour free limit?  ... but I digress.

I forgot to mention that yesterday, I was helped through the flat terrain and all day rain by listening to a John Sandford audio book that Jan lent me.  I had heard the first four disks on the way to Okotoks, and finished the last four disks yesterday.  Good book, interesting murder mystery cast in the Twin Cities and nearby Minnesota.  I've read articles from John Camp, the photographer with a very good grasp of the english language, and thought processes: same man!  Jan had been surprised that I read John Camp the photographer, and strongly suggested I read Sandford the mystery writer: Jan was right as usual.

Now I'll pay for breakfast, replace the gas fumes with liquid, and miss my self imposed crack-of-dawn departure yet again.  I'll blame it on the time change for now...

Oh, I forgot to mention that the computer table here is nowhere near a wall plug...  Thank goodness my macBook still has six and a half hours left on battery power.

No comments: