Saturday, September 5, 2015

Portage LaPrairie to Nipigon, Ontario

Another successful grey day.  There was rain off and on, mainly off, during the morning, fairly warm temperatures by mid day [25ºC] and increasing number of hills, and trees.

Started off with breakfast at Tim Horton's and had supper at the local Husky gas station; not one of those culinary extravaganzas expected of a long distance traveller, but then why do people have such high expectations anyway?

The highway on Lac Superior's north shore is now fabulous: little or no construction, either two or four lane new asphalt, but the same old 90 kph speed limit.  From Alberta east, the limit was mainly 110 with quarter days of 100.  Hit the Ontario border and it's 90 max.  I drove 105 most of the way, even passed a speed-trap with no undue notice.  Followed a cruiser late this afternoon, and s/he was favouring 105 also...  ... even through some 70 kph limits during construction areas [Saturday?].

Time compression today was by Ken Follet's audio book, also lent to me by Jan.  I can't remember the title but it was based on a true second world war story set in the Norwegian country that still has a Royal family who's Prince kissed Joan's hand, the one she never really washes...

Sorry for the lack of pictures: gas stations don't often have great views, but so far, they've had reasonably clean washrooms.

Eating supper at the Husky Restaurant / gas station was interesting.  Two of the patrons were colossally huge, gargantuan obese ladies with skinny escorts / husbands... One had a really cute diminutive face in a huge, fat head, overflowed her motorized wheelchair by at least a foot on either side, and ate constantly while I was there [just served as I got in].  Her table mate was in his 60's+ and nibbled on a few things on his plate, but gave her the fries, bread, and a few wings or something.  She also passed on a few tidbits to the other obese lady at the table facing me. She ate everything while waiting for her own meal to arrive.  Her table mate was likely in his 30's [like her] skinny as they come, and not hungry. None of them looked prosperous, with the second couple definitely the poorer of the two.  She mentioned on more than one occasion that she was at Husky's because with a meal, you earned a free shower...  It was a truck stop after all...  

I don't think I've ever seen two more obese people, yet one had a cute face, the other and infectious laugh: neither a real loser, but neither a winner.  Oh did I mention that both sent their table mates to buy lottery tickets while they were eating?

Like I said: interesting.

I'm finally at home's [EDST] timezone [I think] so no more short days time-wise...  

No comments: