Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Plein Air Painting on Pine Island

Last summer, I joined Charlie on a few of the Manotick Art Association Plein Air outings. While I don't paint, it did offer me the opportunity to photograph away from home with painters who all saw and painted different scenes within a very small area.

Now that Charlie is in Ft Myers, just a few door away, we again ventured forth for a Plein Air experience, this time on nearby Pine Island.

The location chosen by the Pine Island Painter's group was a thriving plant nursery. The painters set up their easels and chose their viewpoint while I walked far and wide in this very large nursery.

Of course, every nursery favours new life; I thought this unfolding new leaf was a great ambassador for new life. 


This is just one of many fields with potted Avocado seedlings. The pink ribbon serves to segregate some that are pre-sold to a park. There had to be a few acres housing many tens of thousands of seedlings.


A quiet place to sit and ponder...


Sometimes Nature tries to tell a story...


Three of the stalwart painters setting up near some very interesting trees by a nearby pond. Those are more Avocado potted seedlings as a background.


Dried bamboo 'boots' provide an interesting three dimensional ground cover that is very crispy and noisy to walk on.


The bark of a tree has stories to tell. Can you understand them?


Palm fronds fall off and spend a lot of time drying and dying. They too want to be remembered.




Sometimes, Nature is very organized: here are two pictures of growing Birds of Paradise plants.




And lastly, an artist's palette. Just imagine the possibilities of a canvas from this 'prep' area.

Hanging around with painters is challenging and exciting. Their view was interpreted with colours I can not even name.  What fun.



No comments: