Tuesday, February 12, 2008






Guess who went to Mexico?  No fair, you looked at the pictures...

Ron and Mell drove us to Mexico, a fifteen minute drive where you park just this side of the border [$3 parking fee], then we walked through a turnstile [25c each], walked across a bridge over the Rio Grande, and voila: Mexico!  

The first picture is of us at the welcome billboard.  The second is of an extremely intensive artist who painted on glass using a blow torch [to make things dry faster, I think] and many different coloured spray cans.  He used pieces of cardboard [instead of paintbrushes] to create a painted vase in about 15 minutes.  Offered for sale at $15 US].  In the picture, he's using a small piece of cardboard to make the those uprights that will eventually be trees.  He was very intense, and actually quite good. I don't like the style, but I was impressed with his skill.

The next picture is of martini glasses:  I'd never buy the product, but I though they would make a decent picture...

The third picture is of pinatas [I can't get the proper characters to spell the word, sorry] which sold for less than $10.  Of course, you'd have to buy candy and gifts to load them up, and that's extra.  The next scene is the main drag where we were  walking; a busy, noisy place where everyone was trying to make you a deal; or beg for coins, or sell you prescription drugs [viagra a favourite even though I can't imagine why anyone would need it ] or do dentistry [I'm told this is actually good value!], shine your shoes, haircut /shave, etc.  The last picture is of rather ugly dolphins for sale [I liked the colour...]

Actually, we were there for a booze run: 1.14L of Bacardi Rum for $8.50, Teacher's Scotch for $11. Bailey's $10, etc.  So each adult bought a 1.14 liter bottle, paid for it and left the liquor store.  The booze was then 'delivered' to you on the street corner and then you walked back to the bridge to the USA.  You paid .30 each to walk through a turnstile [as opposed to .25 earlier when crossing to Mexico] and then you walked over the bridge.  Customs swiped your passport while asking what you had to declare, and you were wisked off to the next guy who took $1,50 in Texas sales tax per 1.14 liter bottle and affixed a stamp on the collar of each bottle.  By then, we only had to cross the street to be in our parking lot and we were on our way home.  Slick?  You bet!

By the way, it's shorts and short sleeves!  Just what we wanted...

And when we got home, it was Happy Hour!  Beats napping!  After supper, we had our first shuffle board lesson; we'll need more practice.

No comments: