Thursday, January 11, 2018

Harns Marsh

This is my first visit to the Harns Marsh in about three years. 

Many of the same suspects were there, but early January is too early for fancy breeding plumage. 

There were lots of birds hiding here and there, the temperature was in the low 80's, and the world is unfolding as it should.

I am not sure who this next little [about the size of a morning dove] duck-like bird is, but it is cute...  Thanks to Phyllis, it is a Common Gallinule [aka Common Moorhen].


I think the next Heron is a Tri-coloured. It is a small heron [less than 2'], and hides very well. 

Humans, like many birds, are good at recognizing movement, so if you stop and wait, eventually, you will spot this little guy hunting along the shoreline. They became my favourites, as you will see.



When you hear the screeching, it is time to look up for the Osprey. This one flew a distance away, but close enough for a quick shot.



Chris and Joan were off shelling in Sanibel, so I thought this next picture might tempt Joan to come birding...   ... or maybe not.

What a great place to go for a hack.  These two riders rode all around the marsh and the birds did not react at all: they must be daily friends.



Back to 'my' Tri -Coloured Heron.  This one seemed to be trying to get my attention: I am sure he said "watch this"...



Like I mentioned in a prior post, preening seems to be a fun occupation for birds. Some delicate movements and contortions are often involved.

Here, smoothing a few white feathers seems the target.



Some targets need a more aggressive stance.



And just as suddenly, we're off...



...  to fly a yard or so and pick up a little fish on the fly.  

Would that be considered fly fishing?



Next is a small Cattle Egret. No it does not go after small cattle, it is the smallest of the Egrets.

This Cattle Egret is scurrying from right to left with great haste.  It would have been faster to fly, but who knows why birds run when they could fly?



Here are a trio of American Coots. They hang around together in the short plants to eat snails or should I say, escargot?



And lastly, a White Ibis, at least that's what I think it is.  The bird book picture shows the orange part circling the eye: not so in this case.  Please enlighten me if you can.



No comments: