Joan and I went to the Wild Animal Park of the San Diego Zoo today and saw lots of interesting things.
This post is of the wild and wonderful birds on display. With any luck, tomorrow's post will include the big cats and other wild animals the Park is better known for.
I think this is a White Crested Laughingwing. He's smaller than a robin, but not by much.
I think this next one is an Ocelated Turkey, much too pretty for the BBQ, but pretty much the right size...
This guy [or gal] is a Hadada Ibis, again, a large bird.
I'm certainly not sure what this one is, but I suspect he's from the stork family, possibly the African Open Bill Stork.
Not sure what this is either, likely some form of Ibis [curved beak].
And more White Crested Laughingwing. Note that there are three with the middle one having spread his crest.
Now this guy is really interesting. He's a White Headed Lapwing and I didn't notice the spiked breasts until I enlarged the picture on the computer. Talk about breast bumping... [click on any picture to see them all larger]
This guy is very aptly named the Superb Starling. What a show-off!
Nor sure who this is, but it could be a poster model for camouflage...
This is a Nicobar Pigeon: note the very colourful 'shoulders'.
And now, the African Spoonbill, just as large and stunning as the local ones in Florida.
This is a native American Golden Eagle, one of the local ambassadors; alway a delight to see.
Once more, I'm not sure who this is, but he sure is relaxed.
If all pigeons were like this, they might receive a better welcome; this is a Victoria Crowned Pigeon. Make sure you see the larger version, it has a very complicated, airy, and delicate crest.
Here's our White Headed Lapwing again, note the spiked [armoured] breasts! Ouch!
And another sample of the well named Superb Starling.
Of course, every zoo or animal park has a Bald eagle.
And included because he can fly, here's a fruit bat, hanging from a heater that faces an ultra violet heater: that accounts for some of the blue in the picture.
The Wild Animal Park is not usually thought of as a place to see birds.
Tomorrow I hope to show you some big cats, some scenery and Peanut, a special little guy...


















No comments:
Post a Comment