After some more laundry and reading, we drove to San Diego's famous Balboa Park, a fabulous municipal park [once a World Exposition site] filled with museums, galleries and multiple gardens. I've never seen this type of insectivorous Pitcher Plant. This one is growing in a very large shade house [they don't seem to have greenhouses here, just shade houses].

At this time of year they also show-off their orchids. Here's a batch of hybrid Cymbidiums.
The buildings in the park are dated but fabulous. Note that the clouds are kind of special too! Not bad for a visitor centre and a restaurant...
One of the many museums here is a model railroad museum. They have been working at these set-ups for up to 35 years! Some probably have another 35 years before they're finished. Here are a few pictures I made at this museum, most taken through Plexiglas, so please excuse any reflections.
The headlights and flashing red lights of these emergency vehicles were actually working! Note that there's a train going through the tunnel.
I've always been impressed with train trestles, or some old train bridges. The next picture is of a model of the second biggest timber trestle in North America. The original is in Carriso Gorge, and was partially restored in 1979. I shot this model behind plexiglas and it may have reflections, but the surrounding hills are very lifelike.
It was sunny and in the high for the day was 24C, exactly what we wanted. Tomorrow, maybe shorts and maybe top-down...
I'd go for more fudge, but it's all gone. Thanks Kyla.





No comments:
Post a Comment