Last night we stayed in Alomogordo NM., not the culture center of the universe. We saw this sign while leaving town and thought we should have entered as a couple. We would have won I'm sure.

The grandkids deserve an explanation of some of these terms and I'm sure their Dads are up to the task...
Moving on. I mentioned dry gulches in Texas. There pretty much the same in New Mexico. Here's the uphill side of the dry gulch. Notice the concrete steps that have been eroded quite seriously due to the occasional flash flooding.
This is the downside, on the other side of the highway; it's much more representative of normal dry gulches. Note the erosion on the sides.
We drove through a region with lava rock for miles. Some of the patterns were quite swirly and it was amazing that plants could grow in such a place.
Bosque del Apache is a wildlife reserve about 200 miles away. In Winter, it's the home of snowbirds [literary!] like geese, ducks, herons, swans and sand-hill cranes! They fly in for the night and it's a golden opportunity to rearrange pixels.
Sand-Hill Cranes:
Snow Geese
If you got here directly, the previous post about While Sands is also dated today and I can't get them in proper order. ... yet. So if you haven't seen that post and are curious, just click on "Previous Post" below.







No comments:
Post a Comment