Thursday, July 13, 2017

Bluerock Wildland Provincial Park, Alberta

Apparently, I have readers that have been disappointed with the lack of blog entries; sorry about that. Since the squeaky wheel gets the attention, here goes...

Today, Eric and I went to the Bluerock Wildland Provincial Park, just beyond the Sheep River Falls area that we visited last weekend.

Temperatures were in the 27 to 32ºC range, bugs were everywhere, but the scenery was quite stunning in places. Of course, the car is well air-conditioned with the top in place, and we were relatively bug free and comfortable while in transit [a little over an hour each way].

The leafed tree of choice here is the poplar.  Not a strong tree, but many at a time make light shade of a hot day.


Most trees in the area are evergreens and they cover hillsides and mountain sides with vigour.


Here are more poplars, which were everywhere we went today.


The Sheep river has been digging canyons for millennia. 


The view from this side of the Sheep River shows cliffs that show the history of erosion over the centuries. Mountains seem to be created from the uplifting of soil; you can see the different angles of the rock strata as it lifted over time.


I have always liked snags: left over parts of once majestic trees that refuse to leave without a trace.


Here is the Sheep river as it runs now, centuries ago, it was likely a mile wide, and a hundred feet higher. Now there is a stunning canyon. 'The little train that could', anyone?



We ended up at a dead end where there was an equestrian campsite nearby. Here are a few 'equestrians' off on an adventure.  Eric and I did walk along a few of their paths, and I would be most reluctant to trust a horse to calmly walk where we did...


There are some wildflowers almost everywhere, not in abundance, but there should you wish to look.


The mountains are quite monumental. They make a very nice background for a picnic table, far from people and noise. Too bad the horse flies found this area...


Rocks are often artistically decorated with lichen, many times with different colours. This seemed particularly interesting.


Near the end of the road, the views of the mountains were getting much better.


Then, as we were leaving, the clouds came in to add their flair to the picture.


I'm not sure that the blog will have a daily update, but I'll try to make it interesting for those of you that have any interest.

No comments: